Well.....
This week was...a big learning experience. It has probably been the most trying but most faith promoting week my whole mission.
On Tuesday our precious Tracy called us and told us she needs to talk to us about something. We met with her on Wednesday when she told us that she overlooked something and isn't sure if she can go through with her baptism. To make a long story short....we pled with her and prayed and cried and read scriptures with her for about an hour and a half...we gave her some scriptures to read over night and we were going to meet the next day. She called us Thursday telling us she had made up her mind and would not be getting baptized on Saturday and she will not be meeting with us :( it was the hardest thing I’ve had to deal with. I don’t' think my heart as hurt so much. She was devastated...we were devastated. Butttt...it's alright. I don't know how to explain the way I felt that day and the day after...but I also don't know how to explain how I felt as I felt the Lord comfort me and give me strength to continue on and push forward. She is so prepared and I know that the Lord is very mindful of her and will help her when she is ready to strengthen that part of her testimony and to allow the Lord to make up the rest and be baptized. I know that when the Lord has a blessing in store for us...he puts a big trial in our way so we can make a great sacrifice. I know that Tracy will accept the gospel...it may be while I am here...it may not be...it may be in Canada...it may not be...but I know that one day...she will accept it fully and be able to receive the blessings that our Father in Heaven has for her. I am so thankful for the opportunity I had to teach her and to learn from this experience. I am so thankful that my testimony of the atonement has yet again grown tremendously and I have been able to see the calming influence personally in my life.
As I had been praying the rest of the weekend I asked Heavenly Father to show us what to do next to allow us to know where to go and that our efforts were not in vain...on Sunday during Sunday School...the Sunday School teacher received a strong prompting to ask one of our investigators how she felt as she had been learning. The investigator bore her testimony about the strength she has received and the happiness that has come into her life and the knowledge that she has of the Book of Mormon. Little did that Sunday School teacher know that she was answering one of my many prayers. I know what Heavenly Father expects us to do...to keep moving. I know where He expects us to go...and I know that our efforts are not in vain...that we make a big difference...if we see it or not. Heavily Father loves all of His children and is so mindful of each of us individually.
In the other ward we are in...during Sunday School we were discussing the first couple of chapters from 1 Nephi. As we were talking I thought a lot about how fast I act to the warning voice of our Heavenly Father. There was a story given about a boy who lived in Idaho when the Teton Dam broke...he received a call that the dam broke and he had but a few minutes to leave...without hesitating...he got the important things and left. Then we read about how Lehi’s family reacted when he...a prophet..."called them" and told them they needed to leave. And then I thought about when the prophet..."calls us" to act in warning of danger...and how fast do we act? He warns us of the destruction of not saying our prayers...not reading our scriptures...he warns us of the people who are in the pathway of devastation who need visiting teachers and home teachers...yet, how fast do we react? Do we act when we are told...or do we wait till it's just about too late when we can see the destruction almost over taking us? It really hit me hard on Sunday as I thought about things I can do better to act NOW when the prophet warns us...when Heavenly Father prompts us...and the blessings and protection that will come from it.
It has finally got cold here! We got a LOT of snow on Sunday!! It’s been crazy. Today it's about -22 without wind chill!! Sister Roper is in for a treat :)
Miracles follow trials. Trials increase our faith. Our faith leads us to act. Our actions show our love for our Father in Heaven.
I know this church is true. I know God lives. I know that my Savior lives and that His atonement is infinite and eternal. I am so thankful for the experiences I have been having on my mission. I wouldn't trade this for anything. It means the world to me.
Make it a wonderful day. The sun is shining...its warmer wherever you are...I can almost guarantee...and we are so blessed. :)
I love you all. Be good. Remember who you are. Live it. Love it.
Sister Smith
No comments:
Post a Comment